A Hero Within® – Measurable Results
During the implementation and completion of the A Hero Within® – Today’s Youth • Tomorrow’s Leaders three-year pilot program, the graduation rate of the students involved increased. The following are comments received by the sponsoring education cooperative:
- We had an increase by 15-20% in the graduation rate during the first year of the program implementation.
- Overall there was a very positive response to this program. There was an increase in positive communication, willingness to get along with others, increased work ethic, and increased peer respect.
- The quality of the curriculum was above average in content, organization and format, discussion questions and writing prompts, and real-life scenarios.
- The overall class activities were rated above average, including the vocabulary words.
- Mr. Vitale connected personally with the students and curriculum during the assembly. This put a face with the author.
- This program provided motivation for students to expand their future education and career goals.
- Curriculum activities extended student knowledge and caused them to use higher order thinking skills.
- We have experienced a decreased amount of student referrals from the at-risk population that Mr. Vitale visited, as well as an increase in the number of college applicants. We want to continue this project in the future.
- The message was very inspirational and motivating to our students.
- We especially liked the activities, bell ringers, and writing prompts.
The following represent various statistics gathered by Paul while working with students during the A Hero Within® student assemblies and breakout sessions:
- 62% consider themselves role models
- 33% consider professional athletes to be positive influences
- 81% have profiles on Facebook
- 32% are bullied at school
- 48% fear failure and rejection
- 55% send text messages while driving a vehicle